Monday 24 March 2014

I’ll never go nude! I’ll never go nude!




Beauty and brains aptly describes fast rising actress, Belinda Effah. The native of Cross River State, who hit Nollywood in 2005 on the set of a soap opera, Shallow Water and who later made a mark in the 2006 edition of Next Movie Star (NMS), a TV reality show dedicated to discovering and nurturing acting talents, is a graduate of Genetics & Bio-technology and she’s also a drop dead beauty!

However, Belinda has put her degree on the back burner and is fast carving a niche for herself in the world’s third largest movie making tradition, Nollywood. Her role in Kokomma not only won her an AMAA award last year but also won her a huge fan base.
In this interview with Tony Ogaga Erhariefe, the award winning actress talks about her journey into the silver screen, her challenges and her ideal man among other issues.
Excerpts:
Tell us about growing up and how you came into acting?
Growing up was fun. We were a happy and close knit family; my parents, siblings and I. I’m from a large family and a God fearing home. Our parents taught us to love and respect one another. I always had passion for the arts and I dreamt an opportunity would present itself one day and it did in 2005 when I partook in Shallow Water, a soap opera. Subsequently I was picked as one of the housemates for Next Movie Star reality TV show. That was in 2006 and today, the rest is history.
What were your initial challenges as a green horn? Did you experience sexual harassment?
I experienced everything; a lot of rejections but it didn’t deter me. It only fueled my passion to want to succeed.
Was there a time you felt like quitting?
I hate to be in an industry where I’ve nothing to offer. I knew I was good at acting and I was ready to do everything decent to position myself as one of the best actresses around so I kept pursuing my dreams against the odds. And when the door started opening, people began to say that ‘this Belinda girl surely has something to offer. My story will not be complete if I don’t mention the Royal Art Academy for giving me an awesome platform.
You’re one of the emerging faces in Nollywood. What’s the secret to your success and which movie gave you your break?
I thank God Almighty that you say I’m one of the emerging faces. My secret is my belief in God because He’s everything to me. I don’t think I’m doing anything extraordinary other than what God is doing for me. The movie that gave me my break was Kokomma, a Royal Arts Academy production produced by Uduak Oguamanam.
Has your family been supportive?
My family was and is still very supportive.
As a professional, could you act a nude role if the pay is cool?
I’m a God fearing believer and it would be an insult to my faith in God to act nude. I won’t do it for any price; not for all the money in the world! I believe God will take me to different heights in my acting career; I don’t need to bare it all to get there.
How did you feel when you were announced winner, Best Rising Actress in Africa at last year’s AMAA?
My nomination was tantamount to a win as far as I’m concerned! I was tense because all the profiles on that category were good and when I was announced winner I was simply overwhelmed! I’m grateful to the Royal Arts Academy because they didn’t know me from Adam yet they gave me a platform. I guess they saw something in me and just went ahead to harness it.
With success comes attention. How are you dealing with your male fans?
Well any beautiful thing is worthy of attraction (laughter). If I’m not getting the attention then obviously there’s a problem. I’m level headed so I’m cordial to everyone and I don’t believe in being disrespectful or rude to people especially my male fans.
What’s the craziest thing a male fan ever did to you?
Well, I’m yet to experience that. Most of them let me know how they feel about me and my act on social media and I say thank you.
You were fabulous in Kokomma. How did you get into that character?
I was a hungry actress and I’m still hungry. I just needed to work so when Kokomma came I totally devoured the script.
How do you interpret your scripts?
First I read the script to enjoy it. Then I read it to understand the story line. Then I read it again to understand my character. Then I read my script over and over again after which I put together a back story for the character I’m playing. Afterwards I research the character.
Tell us about your experience at NMS?
My experience at the Next Movie Star Reality TV show was an amazing one and it’s my foremost foundation in the acting business. It introduced me to Nollywood and what I should expect. I’m very grateful to Sola Fajobi, the CEO of DIM for the experience and the platform I got because it was the foundation for the actress I am today.
Why did it take you so long to get into the mainstream after NMS?
Nothing good comes easy. If you really want something then you have to stand the test of time and that’s what I did. I appreciate my struggles and my days of little beginnings because there’s always a lesson to be learnt and my memory bank is richer and that has equipped me for new and more challenging roles.
What’s been your most challenging movie role to date?
All the roles I’ve played were challenging. My latest, Apaye, A Mother’s Love and After The Proposal were very challenging.
Tell us about your ideal man?
A God fearing man is my ideal man.
Are you in a relationship right now?
That’s personal. I don’t want to talk about private issues in newspapers.
Who are your role models?
My role models are people that have successfully made an impact in their careers. Our economy is tough but these people keep thriving. Aliko Dangote is an inspiration. Lupita Nyong’o, Meryl Streep, Majid Michel, Emem Isong and Uduak Oguamanam are some of those that I look up to.
Considering the crisis rocking celebrities and their marriages, could you marry an actor?
That’s also personal. However, marriage is usually determined by certain factors including love and understanding. If I find all these qualities in an actor then so be it.
What’s been your happiest moment?
That was when I accepted Jesus as my personal Lord and savior.
And your saddest?
When I lost someone very close and dear to me
What are your dreams?
I want to impact society positively and be an icon for youngsters; I want to empower youngsters.
Do you have a final word for youngsters who want to take after you?
Always put God first and be focused and you’ll achieve your dreams.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

details

Popular Posts

Designed ByBlogger Templates