Monday 24 March 2014

Nkem Ike: Day I seduced a man


It all started on a lighter note. But as the interview with the fast rising Nollywood star, Nkem Ike progressed, the actress broke down in tears when, unaware that she was dead, the reporter asked about her mother. To Nkem, her late mother was all that she had. And 10 years after her death, she still misses her and always feels like talking to her. 

In this chat with The Entertainer, the Enugu State-born graduate of English Language bared her mind on the demise of her mum, her rumoured romance with a footballer and sexual harassment in the movie industry. Enjoy.
How would you describe yourself?
I am simple and easy-going. I love God very much because without him, I’m nothing. Everything about me is God and I keep asking for His grace to enable me continue to please Him always.
Did you study English as a choice or by accident?
I actually desired to study law. But after my JAMB exam, it happened that the cut off mark at the University of Lagos then was 256 while I scored 255. And all my efforts to secure admission failed, as I couldn’t also make the substitution list.
Do you regret not studying law?
Yes, I do because even as a little girl, I had always wanted to study law. However, I am still bent on achieving that dream. I am only waiting to get to certain stage in my career before returning to school to study law.
How did you join Nollywood?
I would say it was divinely directed. I was going somewhere with a friend – our church member – one fateful day and somehow, we stopped over at a movie reading (auditioning). When we got there, the director (Andy Amanechi), after spotting me, asked me in and later gave me a script to read. I told him I was not an actor but he insisted and encouraged me to give it a try.
What happened after that?
He later asked me to seduce a guy by acting, which I found very difficult. I was at a loss but everybody encouraged me to do it. When I looked at the guy I didn’t know what to tell him. So, I said, ‘I love you’, and everybody laughed their hearts out. Then, Mama Okaro called me and said that the way I did it could not move any woman talk more of the man I was asked to seduce. She said I should use my eyes, my body and everything I had to do it. That was how it started. And to the glory of God, I am here today.

And that turned out to be your first movie?
Yes. It was titled ‘Reflections’. I think it was produced for Akwa Ibom State Television.

Who is your role model in the industry?
There are many of them. But Ebere Okaro tops the list. Others are Emeka Osai, Kate Henshaw and Steve Eboh among others. They are some of those that I’ve had direct contact with and they have severally inspired and encouraged me at one point or the other. So, I look up to them.

Many people rated you as the hottest rising actress in 2013. What does such rating mean to you at this point in your career?
I would only ascribe it to God. But honestly, that would not intoxicate me in any way because I know I am still climbing and have not got to my peak, career wise. But I know that with more hard work, dedication and being at peace with my God, He will continue to push me till I get there.

Do you see yourself as a hot actress?
I don’t know. All I can say is that I will continue to remain focused while pursuing my dream. I don’t have to rate myself. It’s my fans and people out there that should rate me by what I mean to them.

Is there anyone in the industry whose style you usually have at the back of your mind while acting; for instance in terms of role interpretation?
I do not try to imitate anybody and I don’t aspire to be like anybody either. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. However, I do watch many of my colleagues’ works. But I just want to be Nkem Ike and nothing else. You know, when you are given a script, you are expected to read and interpret it in your own way. So, except I act Nkem, then I would not get it right, naturally.

Since you had a nice outing in 2013, what are your expectations in 2014?
My prayer is that 2014 should be better than 2013. Everyone prays for a better tomorrow and I’m not an exception. So, I leave the year in God’s hands.

Sometimes in 2011, there was a certain story about how a certain producer abandoned you, Jackie Apia and others on set. What was the experience like?
(Laughs heartily). Ah ah! You people can keep records. Well, something like that happened.

Was it a terrible experience?
Honestly, I was shocked because I didn’t even know what was happening. I was already on set when I got a call that we had been abandoned. But honestly, it was not as bad as the press painted it. It was even a journalist that called me to confirm whether it was true. That was how we even got the information. So, it wasn’t something extra-ordinary because every human endeavour comes with its gains and challenges. So, I just saw it as one of such huddles one had to pass through in life.

Are you working on any movie presently?
Yes, I am.

Here in Lagos? 
Yes, in Lagos.

Have you done any this year?
I have done four.

Which are your favourites among the movies?
That is a tough one because I can’t really say which, among my works, is best so far. But I have discovered that most of my fans commend me more when I play action roles. Some of them are ‘Jungle Mission’, ‘Enemies of Progress’, which I did with Nkem Owo, as well as ‘Aso Ebi Girls 2’ and ‘Crazy Prince’, where the prince was treating me badly, among others.

Which of the movies did you find most tasking on set?
I would say that ‘Sexual Desire’ parts 3 & 4 were somehow challenging because I played the role of a lawyer and we used a lot of legal terms. Another tasking one was where I played a Jamaican girl and had to speak the ‘patoi’ stuff (Jamaican English). I think it was titled ‘Coffe Shop’. In fact, after the movie, I was battling to put the language off my lips. Another one was ‘Jungle Mission’ where I played the role of a female soldier. I think we shot it somewhere in Ekiti State. We stayed in the bush for seven days while shooting the movie.

Who are the most interesting colleagues you have worked with?
Oh, there are lots of them such as Mama Ebere Okaro, Kate Henshaw, Chioma Chukwuka and Funke Akindele. Okaro is my mother in the industry. And Kate was one of the people I worked with when I started newly. It was actually from her that I learnt that one could be a hot star and still be humble and down to earth. Funke Akindele and Chioma were also humble and nice, always guiding and encouraging you. I have also worked with people like Emeka Osai and Steve Epu. And they were as well amazingly supportive.

You are still single, right?
Yes I’m single.

You are not searching, I guess?
No, I am not searching and I am not available.

Who is the lucky guy?
That’s not for public consumption.

Is he a footballer?
Why did you single out that profession? Why didn’t you ask if he was a politician, medical practitioner or a businessman? Why such a direct question?

I was only being curious because there was an insinuation that you and a certain footballer have soft spot for each other. So, I was just thinking if it was becoming a reality…
If what was becoming true?

I mean the rumour. It is not unusual for men to eye a not-bad-looking celebrity like you, is it?
All I can tell you is that I have a boyfriend and we love each other very much. Every other thing about us is strictly private. We are proud of each other.

Okay, how soon should your fans expect the nuptial bells?
They should pray for me to get married, first. I haven’t told you he has proposed, have I? One has to get married for the bells to ring.

Since acting is a time-consuming profession, how do you unwind?
I go to the cinema because I love watching movies a lot. I also read novels and go out with friends.

What is your favourite sport?
While in school, I played basketball. At a time, I even considered taking it up as a career. But much as I like it, I cannot do it any longer. So, I watch football, golf and basketball when I find the time.

Did you watch the Super Eagles play this morning?
No, I didn’t.

Which is your favourite foreign football club?
Do I even have now? I used to be a fan of Manchester United. I still watch them when I find time.

Do you enjoy watching Super Eagles’ player, Nnamdi Oduamadi play?
He plays for the Super Eagles, right? I watch Supper Eagles’ matches when I have chance.

Do you like his style of play?
Nnamdi is a very skilful player just like many other players in the team.

How was your childhood?
I grew up just like every other average child. I grew up partly in the north, partially in the east and the south, respectively.

How close are you to your mum?
We were very, very close and she meant a lot to me.  She was so nice to me. She was not just a mother but also a friend, a sister and a confidante. We lost her in 2004. When we lost her, I knew I had lost an unequalled true friend. I have never seen a woman of her sort… Till this moment, I still feel like talking to her, every minute. She was my all… who did everything to make me happy and comfortable. She ensured I didn’t lack anything. But unfortunately, death took her away from us so early in the day.

Aside make-belief, what else do you like doing?
Oh, I love lending a helping hand to the less privileged. I have been doing that for a while and I just pray that God should bless me with enough capital to take it to a higher level.

How do you feel when you hear people lament about sexual harassment in Nollywood?
I used to tell people that I have never seen any man or woman that said they used gun to harass him or her in the industry. I have never experienced harassment either. If someone asks you out against your wish, you simply decline and go your way. Those that think the easiest way to get roles and become a star is by trading their bodies should realise that it doesn’t work that way. Marketers are out for business and would naturally feature those that have market value and can help them to recoup their money afterwards. Nobody has complained he was harassed at gunpoint. Sexual harassment doesn’t exist in Nollywood the way it is usually painted.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

details

Popular Posts

Designed ByBlogger Templates